Some scenes from an afternoon bike ride through forest and orchard, and a pit stop at my favourite local café, where good news was on offer.
A list of good news from around the world was displayed on the board on the pavement outside the café, including:
- Mexico has banned glyphosate (a broad-spectrum herbicide, used in weed killers) and GM corn.
- Kazakhstan has abolished the death penalty.
- Electric fishing is banned in Europe.
- Herrings communicate through passing gas (good news? Or just funny?)
- A European law has just been passed against the obsolescence of smart phones and washing machines, which should now have a repairability rating.
- In the state of Virginia, in the US, capital punishment has been abolished. It is the first southern state in the US to do so.
- Species previously thought extinct are reappearing, including a species of turtle, wild dog and frog.
It’s a lefty, liberal, environmentally friendly kind of neighbourhood, and I love it for that. I haven’t fact-checked the items on the good news list, but it certainly added an extra touch of sweetness to my latte and crepe with lemon and sugar.